Request a Consultation

CheckPoint Consulting Blog

Sometimes finding the solution to an EPM problem is tricky. This is true for the hardened EPM professionals, and for those folks newer to EPM. I was recently reminded of this when trying a migration of Essbase/Planning, all to resolve an issue with some forms not opening and throwing an ‘Invalid Form’ error.

The first issue was that the Planning logs contained nothing about the error. A search on the Oracle Knowledgebase also failed to turn up anything useful. The application was an EPMA one, and the application was in synch in EPMA. The application had been refreshed, and all the security filters seemed to be working. Other forms would open. For all intents and purposes, this was a fully functioning Planning application…except for this pesky set of forms.

After some long web searches, and much use of Google-Fu, I found a pointer to a similar issue with SmartView forms. It recommended checking the Essbase Application log, so that’s exactly what I did.

The Essbase Application log was where this particular issue got written. So there’s the first lesson: never expect EPM to log things where you’d think it would log them.

Looking at the log, I found the following error:

[Tue Feb 06 13:58:13 2018]Local/SampleDemo/Rev/admin@Native Directory/8084/Error(1023040)

msg from remote site [[Tue Feb 06 13:58:13 2018]Local////Error(1051440) Essbase user [admin] Authentication Fails against the Shared Services Server with Error [EPMCSS-00301: Failed to authenticate user. Invalid credentials. Enter valid credentials.]]

Now, that error was both helpful and disconcerting all at the same time. From one perspective, it was good to have an error, and from another perspective, this particular error made no sense. If the ‘admin’ account which is used to link Planning to Essbase wasn’t working, then the Planning application should not be functioning properly. I shouldn’t be able to Refresh, Update Security Filters, have other Forms work, etc.

Accepting that the error must be there for a reason, I went back to the Internet and started more searching. Each attempt to lookup the error led to resolutions that simply didn’t match what I was seeing. Finally, I tried a very limited search on the top portion of the error: Error(1023040).

This returned a note that led me to look at Location Aliases beneath the Essbase Database in question ‘Rev’. Looking here, it turns out there is a value for username and password. I was able to update this value, set the proper password, and now my forms opened successfully.

So here’s your second lesson: sometimes persistence is the key with EPM. You have to search, re-search, and then search some more for both the ‘right’ error and for something that matches what you’re seeing from the environment. So don’t give up, even the oldest of hands run into these issues.